Little League Shoulder in Kids: What Parents & Coaches Need to Know! by Dr. Hannah Chow-Johnson
Kids' Health Family Health
6 years ago
Add to collection
Little League shoulder, an injury to the growth plate, is one of the most common shoulder problems that begins during adolescence. Here's a few things parents and coaches need to know:
- Pitchers most at risk are those who compete on traveling teams.
- Adhering to pitch counts should reduce injuries and decrease fatigue.
- Nonsurgical treatment options include icing the shoulder and judicial use of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications.
- Rehabilitation can restore muscular balance.
- Rest can help, but it should not be prolonged because the shoulder can become deconditioned.
- If nonsurgical options fail, arthroscopic surgery can be considered.
If you have concerns, talk to your child's doctor.
The information on 30Seconds.com is for informational and entertainment purposes only, and should not be considered medical advice. The information provided through this site should not be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, and is not a substitute for professional care. Always consult your personal health care provider.