Little League Shoulder in Kids: What Parents & Coaches Need to Know! by Dr. Hannah Chow-Johnson
Little League shoulder, an injury to the growth plate, is one of the most common shoulder problems that begins during adolescence. Here's a few things parents and coaches need to know:
- Pitchers most at risk are those who compete on traveling teams.
- Adhering to pitch counts should reduce injuries and decrease fatigue.
- Nonsurgical treatment options include icing the shoulder and judicial use of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications.
- Rehabilitation can restore muscular balance.
- Rest can help, but it should not be prolonged because the shoulder can become deconditioned.
- If nonsurgical options fail, arthroscopic surgery can be considered.
If you have concerns, talk to your child's doctor.