From Autism Diagnosis to Finding Community: Words of Wisdom From Parents of Autistic Kids by Renee Herren
Receiving a diagnosis of autism can be scary and overwhelming. Sometimes it helps to know you are not alone. I recently posed a question to parents of children who have autism: If you could tell parents who just received a diagnosis one thing, what would it be? The responses were encouraging and simply breathtaking:
- “Some days you will feel like a failure but the successes, even if few and far between, make it worth it.”
- “Stop apologizing for your children's behaviors. You have nothing to apologize for.”
- “Inspire your child in every possible way, open every door, explore every option!”
- “Never stop telling your kiddo positive things.”
- “Accept, don’t try to change. Don’t fear the differences, embrace.”
- “Trust your instincts. Do what is right for your family and trust in that.”
- “Assume competency. Assume your child is capable; they’ll usually surprise you.”
- “You are the best parent that your child could ever have.”
- “You will have lots of battles, more than other parents, you have to learn to pick which battles you will attend. Choose wisely.”
To the parents who responded to my question, thank you. You are the epitome of bravery and strength.
The content on 30Seconds.com is for informational and entertainment purposes only, and should not be considered medical advice. The information on this site should not be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, and is not a substitute for professional care. Always consult your personal healthcare provider. The opinions or views expressed on 30Seconds.com do not necessarily represent those of 30Seconds or any of its employees, corporate partners or affiliates.
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community. Inspire and be inspired.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Gifts for Kids With Autism $5 & Up
Books About Autism for Parents $3 & Up
Books About Autism for Kids $4 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.