Do Your Kids Really Know How to Call 911? 5 Tips to Make Sure They Do! by Kimberly Johnson
As soon as my kids could speak they could tell you to call 911 if there was an emergency. This week I was inspired to do a trial run to see if they REALLY know what to do. My 9-year-old was set – she knows how to use my phone and knew what info to relay. My 7-year-old, when put on the spot, couldn't clearly communicate our address without prompting.
- Teach your child how to access the "emergency" shortcut on your cell phone, especially if you don't have a landline or have a passcode they don't know.
- Post a cheat sheet with your address and other important information.
- Remind them that whoever answers the call is there to help and not to hang up.
- Teach them to be aware of their surroundings in the event of emergencies outside of the home.
- Remind them 911 should ONLY be called during an emergency.
It's never too young to start!