Smothered Creole Steak Recipe: When Swiss Steak Gets an Attitude by 30Seconds Food
What happens when swiss steak gets an attitude? This flavorful Creole swiss steak! The steak recipe gets its spicy attitude from Cajun seasoning, hot sauce and fire-roasted tomatoes. This is a flavor-packed dinner you need to try.
The tomato-based sauce is made with onion, green bell pepper, celery, garlic, thyme, Cajun seasoning, fire-roasted tomatoes, hot sauce and lemon juice. The sauce gently simmers on the stovetop until all the flavors meld. The cubed steaks are simply seasoned with salt and pepper and pan-fried until cooked to your liking. Let the steaks swim in the sauce for a minute, and this beef recipe is ready for plating.
If you prefer, you could use round steak, sirloin steak or even flank steak that hasn't been tenderized instead of the cubed steaks. Cubed steak is generally sirloin or round steak that has been pounded and tenderized by the meat department before packaging. Cube steaks are known for the indentions from the process of tenderizing the meat. This type of steak is best known for chicken-fried steak.
Serve this Creole recipe with mashed potatoes, noodles, rice or your favorite side dishes.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil (divided)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 small green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 - 3 ribs celery, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon Cajun seasoning or cayenne pepper
- 2 cans (14 ounces each) fire-roasted diced tomatoes (do not drain)
- 1/4 teaspoon hot sauce (or to taste)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 4 beef cube steaks
Here's how to make it:
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large skillet. Add the onion, bell pepper and celery. Cook until softened, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and cook 30 seconds. Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle in the flour, thyme and Cajun seasoning. Cook 30 more seconds.
- Add the tomatoes and hot sauce. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer about 20 minutes, stirring often. Turn the heat off and stir in the lemon juice. Set aside.
- Season the steaks salt and pepper. In another skillet, heat the remaining oil. Add the steaks and cook until browned on both sides and cooked to desired doneness, about 3 minutes per side. Put the steaks into the sauce and cook 1 minute to heat through.
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Recipe cooking times and servings are approximate. Need to convert cooking and baking measurements? Here are some kitchen conversion charts. Here's how to submit your recipes to 30Seconds.
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community, and follow us on Facebook to get recipes in your newsfeed daily.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like
Fire-Roasted Tomatoes $2 & Up
Cajun Seasoning $3 & Up
Dried Thyme $3 & Up
Hot Sauce $2 & Up
Skillets $10 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.