Mexican Wedding Cookies Recipe: Tender, Buttery Cookies Aren’t Just for Weddings Anymore by Ann Marie Patitucci
Mexican wedding cookies are buttery, powdered sugar-covered cookies with finely chopped nuts. As their name suggests, they are served as favors at traditional Mexican weddings. But they aren’t just for weddings! They also make a tasty addition to any dessert table or Christmas cookie tray. Because these cookies are not made with eggs, they're crumbly, not chewy. Their sweet powdered sugar coating is a perfect match for the crumbly texture.
These cookies may remind you of sand tarts, kourabiedes and tea cakes. They remind me of my mom’s Italian butter balls, which she always makes at Christmas time. Regardless of the name, all of the above are delicious and seem to have plenty of similarities.
Some bakers add spices to their Mexican wedding cookies. You could add some ground cinnamon or nutmeg to the dough. If the dough is too soft before baking, pop it into the refrigerator for about 30 minutes. For added flavor, toast the walnuts or pecans in a hot dry skillet until fragrant.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10 to 12 minutes
Total Time: 20 to 22 minutes
Servings: Makes about 48 cookies
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1/4 cups flour, sifted
- dash of salt
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- powdered sugar, for rolling
Here’s how to make it:
- Cream together the butter and powdered sugar until light and fluffy. Stir in the vanilla.
- Slowly add the flour and salt to the butter mixture.
- Fold in the nuts.
- Form the dough into balls (about 1 inch). Put the balls onto parchment paper-lined baking sheets.
- Bake in a preheated 400 degree F oven for 10 to 12 minutes or until cookies are lightly browned. Remove to cool a few minutes, then roll in powdered sugar. Cool completely. Store the cookies in an airtight container.
Note: we may occasionally reference products based on a contributor’s personal opinion. But 30Seconds is not affiliated or in no way endorses or makes any warranties about specific products. However, 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.