Cranberry Apple Cole Slaw Recipe: A Sweet & Tart Healthy Christmas Side Dish by 30Seconds Food
"A bright, fresh (and simple) recipe to serve some crisp veggies alongside your favorite meals this season," says Rachel Maser, mom of four and founder/creator of the clean eating blog, Clean Food Crush®. "I created this coleslaw for the holidays as it has such beautiful Christmas holiday colors and flavors – but I think this would be equally delicious served alongside a juicy BBQ rib in the middle of July."
Rachel recommends trying this cole slaw recipe with fresh cranberries rather than dried especially if you’re making this for the holiday season. "Fresh cranberries lend a wonderful tangy bright flavor to this salad while also providing a festive feel." We agree!
"Cabbage is a very underrated vegetable in my opinion. In terms of price per cup, a report by the Department of Agriculture has shown cabbage to be the second most economical vegetable in terms of price per edible cup. Many people don’t know what a powerhouse cabbage really is. I’ve been eating it on the regular for the past several years, in soups, roasted, quick stir fries and in coleslaw or salad."
This cranberry apple cole slaw tastes better after sitting in the refrigerator for at least one hour before serving. So plan to make this ahead of time. Store the leftovers covered in the fridge for up to two days.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 0 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
- 1 medium green cabbage, shredded or thinly chopped
- 1/2 a small purple cabbage, shredded or thinly chopped
- 1 large apple, chopped into matchsticks
- 1 cup fresh cranberries, halved, or 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup chopped raw pecans or walnuts
- 1 bunch green onions, sliced
- 2/3 cup plain Greek yogurt or plain coconut yogurt
- 1/3 cup homemade mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 fresh garlic clove, minced
Here's how to make it:
- In a large bowl add the shredded cabbage. Season the cabbage with sea salt and pepper, then use your clean hands to massage the cabbage until it starts to shrink a bit.
- Add in the apple, cranberries, pecans and green onions.
- In a bowl, combine all the dressing ingredients then whisk together really well. Add the dressing over the coleslaw salad and toss to combine. Taste test then adjust seasonings, as desired. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Photos: Clean Food Crush
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.