Bavarian Tiroler Gröstl Recipe: A Fried Potatoes & Meat Hash Comfort Food Recipe From Austria by 30Seconds Food
If you like German recipes, you will love this hearty recipe that you can serve for breakfast, lunch or dinner. The simple Tiroler Gröstl recipe is a great way to use up leftover ham, corned beef or roast beef. You could also use some of those cans of Spam in the pantry!
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
- 1 pound small waxy potatoes, washed
- 4 - 5 slices thick slab bacon or cooked ham, chopped (or a combination)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 teaspoon caraway seeds (optional)
- fried egg (optional)
Here's how to make it:
- Cook the potatoes in boiling, salted water until tender, about 20 minutes. Cool and peel, if desired, and slice.
- In a large skillet, cook the bacon or ham until crisp. Remove to a paper towel.
- To the same skillet (leave the drippings) add the butter. When melted, add the sliced potatoes in a single layer. Add any remaining potato slices to the top. Sprinkle in the chopped onion and meat.
- Cook until the potatoes are golden on the bottom, about 10 to 12 minutes. Flip everything over. Add the caraway seed and salt and pepper. Continue to cook until golden, about 5 to 7 minutes more. (You can add more butter, if needed).
- While the potatoes cook, fry eggs to your liking. Top the crunchy potato mixture with a fried egg.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Skillets $10 & Up
Caraway Seeds $4 & Up
Austrian Cookbooks $5 & Up
German Cookbooks $5 & Up
Bavarian Cookbooks $5 & Up
Spam $3 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.