20-Minute Pasta Mollicata Recipe: Nothing Poor About This Southern Italian Pasta With Breadcrumbs Recipe by 30Seconds Food
Pasta mollicata (aka pasta with breadcrumbs) is a traditional Italian dish served all over southern Italy. Made with pasta, breadcrumbs and anchovies, this easy dinner recipe is sometimes referred to as a "poor man's dish." The simple pasta mollicata recipe may be made with humble ingredients, but the taste is good enough for royalty.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
- 12 ounces bucatini or spaghetti noodles
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 anchovy fillets in oil (save the oil)
- crushed red pepper flakes, to taste
- 2 cups fresh breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup Pecorino Romano or Parmesan cheese
- black pepper
- chopped flat leaf Italian parsley
Here's how to make it:
- Cook the pasta according to package directions. Save about 1/4 cup of the pasta cooking water when draining.
- Heat the olive oil and a little of the anchovy oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add the garlic, anchovies and crushed red pepper flakes, if using. Cook, stirring, about 3 minutes or until the anchovies have dissolved and garlic is lightly browned.
- Add the breadcrumbs and cook until they are toasted, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the cooked pasta to the pan and about 1/4 cup of the pasta cooking water. Sprinkle in the cheese. Toss to combine. Season with black pepper, to taste. Garnish with the chopped parsley.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Bucatini $2 & Up
Spaghetti Noodles $1 & Up
Anchovies in Oil $4 & Up
Olive Oil $4 & Up
Crushed Red Pepper Flakes $3 & Up
Black Pepper $2 & Up
Pasta Bowls $9 & Up
Sauté Pans $10 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.