Cajun Red Beans & Rice Patties Recipe With Creamy Creole Mustard Sauce by Donna John
Creamy red beans, rice, vegetables and Cajun seasonings combine to create a flavor-packed, hearty vegetarian meal. This easy red beans and rice patties recipe has a bold Creole mustard sauce that really makes the dish. The first bite will wow you.
The patties are a mixture of mashed kidney beans, bell pepper, onion, celery, Cajun seasoning, garlic, an egg and cooked white rice. The patties are formed then refrigerated for about 20 minutes to help them hold their shape while cooking. (If you have time, don't skip this step. It really helps when cooking the patties.) The flavorful creole mustard sauce is simply creole mustard, mayonnaise, minced green onion and fresh parsley.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/3 cup minced green bell pepper
- 1/3 cup minced onion
- 2 tablespoons minced celery
- 1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning (I used Tony Chachere's Original Cajun Seasoning)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 egg
- 1 cup cooked white rice (I used one bag of Success Boil-in-Bag Jasmine Rice)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
Creole Mustard Sauce
- 3 tablespoons Creole mustard (I used Zatarain's Creole Mustard)
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise (I used Hellman's Real Mayonnaise)
- 2 tablespoons minced green onion
- 1 tablespoon minced flat-leaf parsley
Here's how to make it:
- Combine all the mustard sauce ingredients in a small bowl. Mix well and set aside.
- Put the kidney beans into a mixing bowl and mash with a potato masher.
- Add the bell pepper, onion, celery, garlic, Cajun seasoning, egg and cooked rice. Season with salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Shape into four to six patties. If you have time, pop them into the refrigerator to chill about 20 minutes (this is optional).
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet. Carefully add the patties and cook until golden brown on both sides, about 4 to 5 minutes per side. Be careful when flipping the patties so they stay together.
- To serve, spoon a good amount of mustard sauce over the top and garnish with chopped green onions. Serve with Tabasco sauce.
Note: we may occasionally reference products based on a contributor’s personal opinion. But 30Seconds is not affiliated or in no way endorses or makes any warranties about specific products. However, 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.