Pastelon de Platano Maduro (Plantain Lasagna): Easy Puerto Rican Lasagna Recipe by 30Seconds Food
Pastelon de Platano Maduro is a plantain lasagna popular in the Dominican Republic and Puerto Rico. The sweet and salty flavor combination of the plantains and olives in this easy plantain lasagna recipe will surprise your taste buds.
Cuisine: Puerto Rican
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours approximately
- 4 yellow plantains, ends trimmed off
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 cup pitted green olives, cut in half
- 1/4 chopped dates
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 3 cups water
- 1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- chopped fresh parsley, for garnish (optional)
Here's how to make it:
- Boil the plantains in water for about 20 minutes. Drain and cool.
- In a skillet, cook the ground beef, onions and garlic until beef is browned, about 10 minutes. Add the apple cider vinegar, oregano, paprika, cumin, garlic powder, olives, dates, raisins, tomato paste and water. Season with salt and pepper. Cook until all the water have evaporated, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Carefully peel the plantains. Slice the plantains lengthwise into thin slices.
- Cover the bottom of a baking dish that's been sprayed with nonstick cooking spray with a layer of plantains. Top with half of the ground beef mixture followed by another layer of plantains and then the rest of the meat. Cover the meat with the remaining plantains.
- Bake in a preheated 375-degree F oven for about 40 minutes. Top with the Parmesan cheese and bake about 5 minutes more. Allow it to cool about 10 minutes before serving.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Baking Dishes $9 & Up
Skillets $10 & Up
Apple Cider Vinegar $2 & Up
Dried Oregano $3 & Up
Paprika $3 & Up
Ground Cumin $3 & Up
Garlic Powder $3 & Up
Green Olives $3 & Up
Dates $5 & Up
Raisins $3 & Up
Tomato Paste $1 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.