Grandma's Homemade Chicken Broth Recipe: This Savory Chicken Broth Is Simple Old-Fashioned Goodness by 30Seconds Food
A rich, hearty chicken broth can be the base for so many incredible lunch or dinner recipes. And it's really simple to make a savory homemade chicken stock, just like Grandma used to make, so there's no need to buy canned broth for your soup recipes.
Another reason to keep this chicken broth on hand is to help fight colds and the flu (30Seconds contributor Joy Stephenson-Laws explains the health benefits of chicken broth). When you need some simple old-fashioned goodness, here's an easy Grandma-approved recipe to try.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 60 to 90 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 15 minutes to 1 hour, 45 minutes
Servings: 8 to 10
- 1 whole chicken
- 4 large carrots, cut in half
- 3 stalks celery, plus some celery leaves
- 2 onions, cut in half
- 1 head garlic, cut in half
- 1 large bay leaf
- 3 sprigs thyme
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
Here’s how to make it:
- Put all the ingredients into a Dutch oven or large soup pot. Add enough water to cover.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer about 1 - 1 1/2 hours, or until chicken is cooked through. Remove chicken and vegetables from the pot and allow to cool. Remove meat and use as desired.
- Strain the broth through a fine strainer and use immediately, or pop it into the refrigerator for up to one week or freezer for up to three months.
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community and follow us on Facebook to get recipes in your newsfeed daily. Inspire and be inspired.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Soup Pots $20 & Up
Stock Strainers $7 & Up
Fat Separators $8 & Up
Dutch Ovens $25 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.