Decadent Gingerbread Ice Cream Recipe Is Something Special for the Holidays by Chef Gigi
Looking for a special dessert recipe to serve for the holidays? Make this rich and creamy gingerbread ice cream recipe and Santa may scratch your name off the naughty list. Well, maybe.
Even if he doesn't, this decadent gingerbread ice cream recipe will have been worth it!
Prep Time: 45 minutes plus time to freeze
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 65 minutes plus time to freeze
Servings: Makes about 1 1/4 quarts
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk (I used 1% milk)
- 1 3- to 4-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and roughly chopped small
- 6 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated whole nutmeg or ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract or bourbon extract
Here's how to make it:
- In a saucepan, combine the heavy cream, milk and fresh ginger. Bring nearly to a boil over medium-high heat. Remove the pan from the heat and set aside to infuse the ginger for 30 minutes to an hour. Strain the mixture, discarding the ginger. Return the mixture to the saucepan and heat just until simmering.
- Meanwhile, whisk the egg yolks, brown sugar, molasses, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg and salt in a bowl. Slowly add the warm cream mixture to the egg yolks, whisking constantly. Be careful not to over heat and scramble the egg mixture.
- Pour the mixture back into the saucepan and set over medium-low heat. Stir constantly until the mixture thickens enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon (about 170 to 175 degrees F on an instant-read thermometer).
- Strain the custard into a heatproof bowl and stir in the bourbon extract or vanilla. Cover and refrigerate until thoroughly chilled, preferably overnight.
- Freeze the mixture in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Transfer to an airtight container and freeze until firm, at least 1 hour.
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Need to convert cooking and baking measurements? Here are some kitchen conversion charts. Here's how to submit your recipes to 30Seconds.
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community, and follow us on Facebook to get recipes in your newsfeed daily.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Bourbon Extract $4 & Up
Molasses $6 & Up
Ground Ginger $3 & Up
Ground Cloves $5 & Up
Ground Nutmeg $3 & Up
Dark Brown Sugar $3 & Up
Vanilla $4 & Up
Whole Nutmeg $5 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.