Vegan Macaroni & Cheese: This Recipe Is Why Mississippi Vegan Timothy Pakron Was Invited for the Holidays by Donna John
Was he sitting at the table this Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter? No, but Timothy Pakron (aka Mississippi Vegan) was there in spirit through his amazing vegan macaroni and cheese recipe. With two of my kids vegan, we started a new tradition last year of having a separate vegan Thanksgiving and Christmas. My daughter, fellow 30Seconds tribe member Ashlee Smith, cooked both meals, and the highlight was Tim’s dish, which he calls “the best vegan macaroni and cheese.” Agreed. So much so that it was requested at Easter. Here’s Tim’s vegan mac and cheese recipe. He says the topping is “totally optional and not necessary,” so that’s your call.
- 16 ounces macaroni noodles, cooked according to packages directions to al dente
- 1 cup raw cashews (soaked overnight if using a regular blender)
- 4 cups filtered water
- 1/4 cup vegan butter
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 pack American slices by Follow Your Heart, chopped
- 1 pack smoked gouda by Follow Your Heart, chopped
- 1 pack provolone slices by Follow Your Heart, chopped
- 1 bag shredded pizza-style shreds by Follow Your Heart
- 6 teaspoons vegan butter
Here’s how to make it:
- Pour the al dente noodles into a 13x9-inch baking dish.
- In a high-speed blender, add the cashews and water and blend until smooth and creamy, about 1-2 minutes. Add the chopped cheeses, butter, nutmeg, cayenne pepper, turmeric powder and cornstarch. Start by blending on low and gradually turn up the speed, until you are left with a smooth and creamy sauce, scraping down the sides as needed.
- Pour the cheese sauce over the noodles. Mix well. If you’re using the topping, sprinkle the pizza-style cheese over the top and dollop with the butter.
- Bake in a preheated 375-degree F oven, uncovered, about 30 minutes, or until edges are a little golden and cheese is melted. Remove from oven and stir. Let it stand for about 10 minutes before serving.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Follow Your Heart Cheese $12 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.