20-Minute Shepherd's Pie Recipe: Where Has This Easy Shepherd's Pie Recipe Been All My Life? by Donna John
Shepherd's pie had never been in my recipe arsenal until one of the meals HelloFresh sent me was ... you guessed it ... a shepherd's pie. So good!
Traditionally, shepherd’s pie is an Irish specialty that contains lamb while cottage pie is an English specialty that contains beef. Both dishes call for mashed potatoes on top and sometimes on bottom. Whatever you call it, this dish is delish!
Here's my American take on the recipe. In my version, you could substitute sweet potatoes for the russet potatoes. This easy shepherd's pie recipe cooks in 20 minutes!
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1/4 cup beef broth
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 large russet potatoes, cooked and mashed
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 - 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
Here's how to make it:
- Cook the ground beef and onion in a skillet until browned. Add the garlic and thyme. Cook about a minute more.
- Add the beef stock, flour and peas. Cook until mixture is thick and heated through. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Add the milk and butter to the potatoes. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Mix well.
- Pour ground beef mixture into a casserole dish. Top with the potatoes. Sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese.
- Bake in a preheated 400-degree F oven until it's hot and cheese is melted, about 10 minutes. Serve.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Casserole Dishes $10 & Up
Skillets $10 & Up
All Purpose Flour $3 & Up
Beef Broth $2 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.