Kids Don't Like Crust? Keep It for Croutons! Here's the Easy Recipe! by Dr. Jamie Krenn
Will your kids not eat the crust off of bread? While cutting it off may encourage picking eating habits, sometimes you have to pick your battles. My daughter loves Udi's gluten-free bread as toast, but sadly, not the crust. When she wants her morning carbs, I cut off the crust and chop it into bite-sized pieces. I keep a running bag of bread bits in an airtight freezer bag, and then make homemade croutons. When ready to cook:
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- On a large nonstick baking sheet pan add bread bits.
- Mix together 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil, salt and pepper. Toss to coat with bread bits.
- Spread on a baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes, stirring halfway through, or until crisp and dry.
- Cool. Store for up to one week.