Skinny Orange Chicken Recipe: This Orange Chicken Recipe Has No Refined Sugar by Chef Gigi Gaggero, Host of KSCU 103.3 FM LIVE Food Talk Radio S.F. Bay Area
I reworked the formula, so it has all the flavor – but no refined sugar. I've even included gluten-free options, in case you're avoiding gluten. I hope you love this delicious chicken dinner recipe as much as I do!
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 25 to 30 minutes
Total Time: 40 to 45 minutes
- 2 cups all-purpose flour or gluten-free flour
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 2 cups panko bread crumbs or gluten-free bread crumbs
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch chunks
- juice and zest of 2 oranges
- 1/3 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 - 4 dried chili peppers
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated ginger
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 cups cooked jasmine rice
- sesame seeds, for garnish (optional)
- sliced green onions, for garnish
Here’s how to make it:
- Line a high-sided baking sheet with parchment paper or nonstick silicone baking sheet. Set up a dredging station with three medium-sized bowls – one bowl filled with the flour and seasoned with salt and pepper, another one with the eggs, beaten and seasoned with salt and pepper, and one with panko. Next to the last bowl place the prepared sheet.
- Season the chicken pieces with salt and pepper. Begin dredging the chicken by first pressing it in the flour. Lift to shake off any excess.
- Coat in the in beaten eggs and finally into the in panko, covering thoroughly.
- Arrange the coated chicken on the baking sheet and bake in a preheated 400-degree F oven until no longer pink, 18 to 20 minutes.
- To make the sauce, in a small saucepan over medium heat, combine the orange juice, soy sauce, honey, garlic, ginger and cornstarch. Whisk until combined. Add chili peppers and cook until thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Once the chicken is baked and crispy, transfer to a large bowl and drizzle in the orange sauce. Toss well to coat.
- Serve over cooked rice garnished with orange zest, sesame seeds and chopped green onions.
Need help converting cooking and baking measurements? Here are some handy kitchen conversion charts.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Jasmine Rice $2 & Up
Gluten-free Flour $2 & Up
All Purpose Flour $2 & Up
Honey $3 & Up
Low Sodium Soy Sauce $3 & Up
Sesame Seeds $3 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.