How to Make Turkey Meatballs With Spicy Basil & Burrata Red Sauce by Chef Gigi Gaggero
Meatballs are all the rage! Here’s my recipe for turkey meatballs in a spicy basil and burrata red sauce. Yum!
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons breadcrumbs (can use gluten-free)
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, minced
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3 cups tomato sauce or your favorite pasta sauce
- 1/2 cup chicken or beef stock
- 1 heaping teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1 cup sliced shiitake mushrooms
- salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 4-5 large basil leaves, chopped
- 6-8 ounces fresh burrata cheese, cut into large thin pieces
Here’s how you make it:
- Combine all the meatball ingredients. Mix together and roll into 22 to 24 1-inch meatballs.
- Place on a foil-lined cookie sheet sprayed with nonstick cooking spray. Bake for 15 minutes in a preheated 400-degree F oven.
- While the meatballs are baking, make the sauce. Heat a large skillet on medium-low and add tomato sauce, stock, Italian seasoning and mushrooms. Allow sauce to cook mushrooms through and thicken, about 15-30 minutes.
- Once meatballs are out of the oven, gently add them to the sauce. Spoon the tomato sauce generously over the meatballs. Add the fresh basil.
- Place the buratta randomly in the tomato sauce and over the meatballs. Cover and continue cooking on medium-low for 5 more minutes or until the cheese has melted into the sauce. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
Serve meatballs over an ancient grain, pasta or spaghetti squash.