No-Churn Lemon & Ginger Ice Cream Recipe: Chef Annabel Langbein Shares Her Creamy Ice Cream Recipe by Donna John
Who doesn't love ice cream? But are you thinking it’s too much trouble, and you don’t even own an ice cream machine? You don’t need an ice cream maker to produce Annabel Langbein’s velvety ice cream.
The two secrets are using lots of sugar, which makes it difficult for ice crystals to form, and whipping in lots of air so it’s light and fluffy. You can use any type of citrus, but lemon and ginger are a match made in heaven. Combining cream and yogurt makes it lighter and tangier than using all cream. Here’s Annabel's recipe for lemon and ginger ice cream recipe.
Prep Time: 6 hours and 10 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 6 hours and 15 minutes
Servings: 4 to 6
- 1 1/2 cups superfine sugar
- finely grated zest of 1 lemon
- 3/4 cup lemon juice, strained
- 1/2 cup very finely chopped crystallized ginger
- 4 egg whites
- 1 cup cream
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
Here's how to make it:
- Combine sugar, lemon zest and juice and ginger in a medium pot. Stir over heat until sugar has dissolved. Bring to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- While the syrup is boiling, beat egg whites in an electric mixer until stiff peaks form. On low speed, gradually add the hot syrup, then turn mixer speed to high and beat until cool and very thick (about 10 minutes). Transfer to a large mixing bowl so you can use the same mixer bowl and beater (you don’t need to wash them in between) to whip the cream to soft peaks.
- Gently fold in the yogurt, then mix in the beaten egg whites a little at a time, folding gently until evenly incorporated. Spoon into a container, cover and freeze for at least 6 hours. The ice cream will keep for three to four weeks in the freezer.
This recipe is from Annabel’s TV series, "Annabel Langbein The Free Range Cook: Simple Pleasures," on PBS.
This video is longer than 30 seconds, but we think it's worth it.
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community and follow us on Facebook to get recipes in your newsfeed daily. Inspire and be inspired.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Superfine Sugar $3 & Up
Crystallized Ginger $4 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.