DIY Brown Sugar Lip & Body Scrub: An Easy Fix for Chapped Skin & Lips by Elena Duque
Now that winter is over and spring is here, are you looking at your dry, cracked skin? Here’s how to reduce your dry, cracked skin DIY style just in time for spring and summer!
One of my tried-and-true tips for super soft, hydrated skin is exfoliating with my simple-to-make lip and body scrub. Remember to hydrate your lips and body after exfoliating.
But first, here's why you should make your own scrubs at home:
- It's easy!
- It's fun!
- It's inexpensive!
- They make great gifts, just get cute little mason jars, ribbons and tags.
Here's how to make my brown sugar lip and body scrub:
- 1 cup organic brown sugar
- 1/4 cup organic coconut oil, softened
- 1/4 cup avocado oil
- 2 teaspoons sweet almond oil
Here's how to make it:
- Mix all ingredients until combined.
- Store in a glass jar for up to a month in the fridge.
You can experiment with add-ins like cinnamon, essential oils or just use 1/2 cup of coconut oil.
How to apply to lips: Wet lips with water. Take a small amount of the scrub and gently massage lips in a slow circular motion (it's OK to lick off a little, it's edible!).
How to apply to body: I stand on a towel outside of the shower and massage it into my body, then I go into the shower to rinse it off. It's less messy this way. Scrub from the neck down – GENTLY.
Here's why I chose these ingredients:
- Brown sugar is a natural humectant, so it absorbs moisture from the environment and deposits it into your skin. Hydrating and conditioning, brown sugar helps to keep the moisture locked in. It also guards your skin from destructive toxins and keeps it healthy, nourished and glowing.
- Coconut oil may be linked to some potential benefits for skin, including reducing inflammation, keeping skin moisturized and helping heal wounds. The medium-chain fatty acids found in coconut oil also possess antimicrobial properties that can help treat acne and protect the skin from harmful bacteria.
- Avocado oil has beta carotene, protein, lecithin, fatty acids and vitamins A, D and E, which help moisturize and protect your skin from damaging UV rays and also increase collagen metabolism.
- Sweet almond oil is chock full of vitamin E and keeps your skin cells healthy, protects skin from UV radiation damage, and helps your skin look smooth, soft and free of fine lines. Fatty acids help your skin retain moisture and can heal chapped and irritated skin.
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community, and follow us on Facebook to get inspiration in your newsfeed daily. Inspire and be inspired.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Organic Brown Sugar $4 & Up
Organic Coconut Oil $6 & Up
Avocado Oil $5 & Up
Sweet Almond Oil $4 & Up
Essential Oils $4 & Up
Ground Cinnamon $3 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.