Top 10 Activities for Families When Visiting London! by Christine Jones
We just returned from five days in London with our 9-year-old son and had one of our best visits! It is truly one of the greatest cities to visit with kids. Here are our top 10 picks for families visiting London!
- Hampton Court: This was the first time we visited Hampton Court, a royal palace in Richmond upon Thames (just outside of London) and it certainly won't be the last. My son loved wandering the palace and playing in the amazing gardens and outdoor maze. We brought a small football and were very glad we did. Make sure to hit the onsite playground as it's one of the best we've ever been to.
- Tower of London: No trip to London is complete without a stop here to see the Crown Jewels, the ravens and the Beefeaters! Kids will love the gruesome stories as well.
- London RIB Voyage: The best boat tour for kids on the Thames. You'll take in the sites and then go full throttle back the other way down the Thames!
- HMS Belfast: This was the sleeper hit. A historic warship that shows what life was like on board for the crew during WW2.
- Tate Gallery: Britain's national museum of modern and contemporary art.
- Picnic in Hyde Park: Always a favorite! Grab food in Harrod's Food halls and head right over.
- Churchill War Rooms: This might possibly one of the best historical experiences out there. You'll visit and experience Churchill's secret WW2 bunker. I encourage you to get the audio guide.
- The Royal Mews: A family favorite near Buckingham Palace. You'll see all of the Queen's transportation from the Rolls, Bentley and, of course, the more traditional horse drawn transport are all on view. The highlight is the gold leaf coronation coach.
- Harrod's Pizzeria: As it was raining the day we were hoping to have a picnic, we were glad to stumble upon the pizza parlor on the second floor of Harrod's. Kids will love the singing pizza maker. Bonus - the ice cream parlor is across the hall.
- Charlie & The Chocolate Factory Tea at Aldrych: There are many places for a traditional tea but this is super fun for the kids. Book way in advance.
Read four more ideas here!