Work With Toxic People? 7 Ways to Shield Yourself From Negativity in the Workplace! by Mindy Hudon, M.S., CCC-SLP
If you work in an environment free of toxic people, you’re a lucky employee. Working with toxic people on a day-to-day basis can drain the life out of you! Toxic people cause an environment full of negativity, stress and uncertainty making you feel powerless. The funny thing is that these people think that we’re the problem, but in actuality they’re the cause. Beware because toxicity spreads like a virus and will eventually lead to frequent staff turnover. It’s either find a new job or protect yourself from the toxic behavior.
- Avoid interacting with toxic people by limiting your exposure to them, if possible.
- Minimize your contact by asking to be reassigned or move your work station.
- Limit your communication to business only.
- Set firm boundaries and say no to unreasonable demands.
- Practice using a few good mantras if needed: “I am uncomfortable with how you’re communicating with me.”
- Take notes about your encounters in case you need to contact management.
- You don’t need to explain yourself. If you don’t want to talk say, “I’m sorry, but I am busy right now.”
Grab your armor and shield yourself from toxic people!