Dating Etiquette: How to Handle 7 Awkward Valentine's Day Date Moments! by Donna John
Nobody ever wants to encounter an awkward situation while out on a date, and this is especially true on Valentine’s Day. Sharon Schweitzer, an international etiquette expert, author and the founder of Protocol & Etiquette Worldwide, offers advice around seven different dating disasters!
- You refer to your date by the name of your ex: Imagine being out on a Valentine’s date and you accidentally refer to your date by the name of your ex. There’s only one thing to do besides hope they don’t walkout on you: apologize profusely and don’t ever do it again.
- Laugh at those things you can’t control: Maybe you spilled your soup allover your shirt. Maybe you walked into a glass door. Don’t let these awkward situations get the best of you. Your demeanor and how you handle it tells your date a lot about you.
- Be careful with alcohol: A glass of wine or cocktail with dinner is perfectly acceptable; however, don’t drink to the point of no return.
- Good breath equals good kiss: If you decide to go in for the goodnight kiss, make sure you have a breath mint handy to erase the memory of the garlic bread you ate with dinner.
- You momentarily forget your manners: It happens. You’re out on a date and you burp, shove the food in your mouth, chew with your mouth open, etc. Catch the mistake and apologize before your date says something. When you own up and take responsibility, it speaks volumes about the kind of person you really are.
- Awkward conversations: Don’t ask your Valentine’s date how many kids they want to have or how much money they make. Stay away from talk about sex, politics and religion. Stick to lighter topics likes books, food, movies, hobbies and sports.
- You are absolutely miserable on this date: Although you might not necessarily care for your date or be having the time of your life, it’s a few hours at most so try to make the best of it. Refrain from pulling out your phone and texting your friends. If all else fails and the date has no end in sight, simply say something like, “I apologize. I do need to get going soon as I have a big presentation at work tomorrow morning.”
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like: