Cruising Cairo: Viking River Cruises Unveils New Ship Design in Egypt! by Donna John
Viking River Cruises has announced details of the newest addition to its river fleet, Viking Ra™. Recently acquired, the vessel has been stripped down to the steel to undergo a complete renovation that will reflect Viking's award-winning Scandinavian design. Tailored to an intimate sailing experience for just 48 guests, Viking Ra will sail the Nile River on a new Egypt cruise tour, Pharaohs & Pyramids, that will launch in March 2018. "Egypt is one of the most intriguing countries in the world, and it remains a top destination for many of our guests," said Torstein Hagen, Chairman of Viking Cruises. During the 12-day itinerary, guests will experience Egypt's cultural treasures in seven destinations. The Viking Ra also features:
- All Suite Staterooms: The ship features three suite stateroom categories, each of 291 square feet, including 20 Veranda Suites with a full-size veranda in the living room and a French balcony in the bedroom. All staterooms include premium amenities such as a hotel-style bed, luxury linens, sofa, private bathroom with shower, air conditioning and flat-screen TVs.
- Pool and Two Jacuzzis: In addition to two Jacuzzis, the ship features a pool at the back of the ship, allowing guests to swim surrounded by their destination. A sanctuary from the sun is provided by sculptural "sail-shades" inspired by local dhow ships and intricate mashrabiya-influenced screens surrounding the Pool and Sun Deck.
- Spa: Specifically designed for Viking Ra, guests can relax in The Spa offering massage services and a variety of treatments.
- Onboard Dining, Bar and Lounge: Dine in The Restaurant, which serves three full meals and a selection of regional and international fare, then head to the clinker-built bar to share a cocktail with friends. During the day, guests can enjoy The Lounge to relax, take in the views through floor-to-ceiling glass doors or hear an informative discussion on the next destination.
- Enriching Entertainment: Connecting guests to their destinations through authentic experiences is central to Viking's "thinking person's cruise." Instead of casinos and water slides, guests are offered Viking's Culture Curriculum®, which includes a Nubian evening event on board and a local experience riding a camel. Additionally, Viking's expert Egyptologist leads all excursions, sharing the archaeological and historical significance of the sites.
To get more information, visit VikingCruises.com.