10 Awesome Tips When Traveling Long Distances With Kids! by Christine Jones
Traveling With Kids
5 years ago
We just got back from two weeks traveling through Asia with our 6-year-old. Here are my tips for traveling long distances with a young child!
- Make sure they pack a carry-on that they can actually maneuver through the airport. We prefer having her use a small bag on wheels. Said bag only gets heavier as they add in keepsakes.
- Wear long stretch pants/sweatpants. Long flights get chilly and she liked being in pants with easy to remove shoes (i.e. Crocs or slip-ons).
- Plane food is notoriously unappetizing. Pack snacks that they’ll like such as goldfish crackers, granola bars, bagels and fruit. I try and stay away from chocolate and sweets on a plane.
- Pack hand wipes in your carry-on to wipe down the seat's tray table and seat arms. It never fails that she dumps her snack out directly on the tray table.
- If you're going to a destination with a pool, pack a swimsuit for each of you in your carry-on. That way if your luggage is lost you can still enjoy yourself upon arrival.
- Pack in Ziplocs: This has been a game changer for us. I pack all of her bathing suits, underwear, socks, shoes, goggles and hair accessories in separate plastic storage bags. Diapers and swim diapers could also be in a separate bag. That leaves me with just a pile of shirts, shorts and a couple of dresses for her. Now it's super simple to unpack and find specific items. I also pack an empty garbage bag that we use for dirty laundry along our travels.
- Travel with medicine that you know works for them.
- Set clear screen time: Make it clear before you leave what the screen time rules are going to be.
- Every morning lay out the plans for the day. It helps them feel secure and confident when they know what's ahead.
- Build in rest/pool time. Let's face it, most young kids don't love a full day of sightseeing! We also allow some screen time before dinner if it's not coming out with us.
Here's to making family memories!