Baby's First Bath: 7 Steps to Make Bathing Baby a Safe & Soothing Experience by Elisa A. Schmitz 30Seconds
Dr. Anita Chandra, a pediatrician with Northwestern Medical Group in Chicago, has a lot of advice when it comes to bathing your baby. She shared tips on how to make your newborn's first bath not only safe, but also soothing.
Following these seven steps may help Baby and you feel more relaxed for this special first.
1. Make Sure the Room Temperature Is Warm (72 Degrees F)
2. Have Your Supplies Ready
- baby bathtub
- plenty of counter space
- hooded towel
- cotton balls
- mild baby soap
- container of clean water outside the tub area
3. Set the Water Temperature Between 90 and 95 Degrees F (Never Hotter Than 100 Degrees F)
4. Place Baby in the Bath Tub
5. Put Some Soap on the Washcloth
6. Give Baby a Sponge Bath
Follow these easy steps:
- Start at the head and move to the toes.
- To clean baby’s face, use a cotton ball with clean water, wiping inside (from the nose) to outside of the face.
- Open up hands to clean.
- Avoid umbilical cord stump.
- To clean under the diaper area, use a separate washcloth.
7. Take Baby From the Bathtub and Into a Hooded Towel for Dry Off and Warm Up
Your baby may fuss a bit, especially for the first bath, but overall bath time should be a soothing experience. An important reminder: Never leave your baby unattended in the bathtub or on a counter.
Watch this video to see Dr. Chandra and I give a baby a safe and soothing bath.
The content on 30Seconds.com is for informational and entertainment purposes only, and should not be considered medical advice. The information on this site should not be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, and is not a substitute for professional care. Always consult your personal healthcare provider. The opinions or views expressed on 30Seconds.com do not necessarily represent those of 30Seconds or any of its employees, corporate partners or affiliates.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Baby Bathtubs $15 & Up
Washcloths $5 & Up
Hooded Towels $8 & Up
Baby Soap $4 & Up
Cotton Balls $3 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.