Healthy Pregnancy Diet Tips (and a Bonus Nutritious Snack Recipe) by Elisa Schmitz, 30Seconds
Some of us may think (or wish!) that being pregnant is a license to “eat twice as much,” but Veronica del Real, a nurse practitioner, says that's not the case. "Although there is somebody else on board, it isn’t eating for two; it’s only a few more calories per day, which pretty much involves a healthy snack a day.”
Specifically how many extra calories should moms-to-be should be eating?
- First Trimester: an extra 100 to 200 calories per day
- Second Trimester: an extra 300 to 500 calories per day
- Third Trimester: an extra 300 to 500 calories per day
Veronica recommends eating foods rich in calcium and vitamin D. Calcium-rich foods include:
- leafy greens
In order to get enough vitamin D, Veronica suggests eating fortified foods and getting enough sunlight (yes, sunlight!).
Check out this sample of a healthy daily eating plan during pregnancy:
- Breakfast: milk, fortified cereal and a pumpkin muffin
- Lunch: turkey sandwich with lettuce, tomato and cheese; carrots and fruit
- Dinner: salmon, potatoes and vegetables
- Snack: yogurt parfait
The yogurt parfait is simple and delicious.
Here’s how to make it:
- Put some yogurt at the bottom of a glass, sundae dish or mason jar.
- Add some fruit, then granola.
- Add more yogurt.
- Top with more fruit and/or granola.
Watch Veronica and I make the yogurt parfait by watching this video.
The content on 30Seconds.com is for informational and entertainment purposes only, and should not be considered medical advice. The information on this site should not be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, and is not a substitute for professional care. Always consult your personal healthcare provider. The opinions or views expressed on 30Seconds.com do not necessarily represent those of 30Seconds or any of its employees, corporate partners or affiliates.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.