When Your Birth Plan Goes Astray: The Rewrite of My Yogic Birth Story by Nicole DeAvilla
As a yoga teacher, I thought I would have a different birthing story to tell. Instead of...
- Laboring at home practicing prenatal yoga – I was induced at the hospital.
- Practicing yoga poses and meditating – I had to lie prone in the hospital bed.
- Eating healthily – I begged for more JELL-O to curb my growing hunger!
- Breathing with natural contractions – I progressed from no contractions to rapid, intense, pitocin-induced contractions.
- Planning to consider a light epidural – I needed to have a full-on numbing one.
- Practicing yoga during labor – I was exhausted with an epidural and slept through my labor.
- Squatting for delivery – My dead weight unfeeling legs were propped into a semi-squat position on the bed.
- Feeling the contractions and moving and breathing yogically with them – My doctor had to tell me when I was having a contraction.
- Pushing with my strength and coordination – I had to imagine muscles I couldn’t feel.
In the end, none of this mattered! Having a healthy wonderful baby to cherish was the foremost goal and was the awesome result. In the end I do have an even better yoga birthing story and lesson: Accepting what is, maintaining a sense of humor and being grateful. That’s a happy yoga birthing story.
Did you have a re-write of your birthing story? Please share!
The content on 30Seconds.com is for informational and entertainment purposes only, and should not be considered medical advice. The information on this site should not be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, and is not a substitute for professional care. Always consult your personal healthcare provider. The opinions or views expressed on 30Seconds.com do not necessarily represent those of 30Seconds or any of its employees, corporate partners or affiliates.
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community. Inspire and be inspired.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Birth Plan Resources $5 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.