Binky, Paci, Nummi, Soother: 7 Pros & Cons of Giving Baby a Pacifier! by Mei Marcie
Whatever you call it, there's much controversy surrounding pacifier use in babies. Let's explore the pros and cons:
- Soothes Baby and may be an easier habit to break than thumb-sucking.
- May be associated with reduced Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS).
- May help reduce overfeeding for babies who want to suck longer.
- May complicate breastfeeding, especially if given in first few weeks of birth before breastfeeding and milk supply are established.
- Dependency may lead to less sleep when pacifier falls out.
- Middle ear infection risk.
- Potential dental problems, like crooked teeth and cavities (if pacifier is sweetened).
Talk to your doctor and decide what's best for Baby – and you! Read more about the pros and cons of pacifiers via American Family Physician here.