10 Steps to Building a Backyard Ice Skating Rink on a Budget! by Ashlee Benest
I had a blast building an ice skating rink, for very little money, with my boys over the holidays! Here's how I did it:
- Clear an area in your yard where you want the rink to go.
- Lay down tarps/drop-cloths and cover them with snow.
- Get kids to help by playing on the area. The more they play, the flatter it gets!
- Clear away excess snow if you get any.
- Cold temps are a must, and rain can work to your advantage!
- Flood the rink every night.
- Buy some cheap hockey sticks and pucks.
- Get a couple of hockey nets.
- Find some used skates.
- Have fun, get fit (and don't fall)!