Baby's First Bath: 7 Steps to Make Bathing Baby a Safe & Soothing Experience by Elisa Schmitz
Dr. Anita Chandra, a pediatrician with Northwestern Medical Group in Chicago, has a lot of advice when it comes to bathing your baby. She shared tips on how to make your newborn's first bath not only safe, but also soothing.
Following these seven steps may help Baby and you feel more relaxed for this special first.
1. Make Sure the Room Temperature Is Warm (72 Degrees F)
2. Have Your Supplies Ready
- baby bathtub
- plenty of counter space
- hooded towel
- cotton balls
- mild baby soap
- container of clean water outside the tub area
3. Set the Water Temperature Between 90 and 95 Degrees F (Never Hotter Than 100 Degrees F)
4. Place Baby in the Bath Tub
5. Put Some Soap on the Washcloth
6. Give Baby a Sponge Bath
Follow these easy steps:
- Start at the head and move to the toes.
- To clean baby’s face, use a cotton ball with clean water, wiping inside (from the nose) to outside of the face.
- Open up hands to clean.
- Avoid umbilical cord stump.
- To clean under the diaper area, use a separate washcloth.
7. Take Baby From the Bathtub and Into a Hooded Towel for Dry Off and Warm Up
Your baby may fuss a bit, especially for the first bath, but overall bath time should be a soothing experience. An important reminder: Never leave your baby unattended in the bathtub or on a counter.
Watch this video to see Dr. Chandra and I give a baby a safe and soothing bath.
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community, and follow us on Facebook to get inspiration in your newsfeed daily. Inspire and be inspired.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Baby Bathtubs $15 & Up
Washcloths $5 & Up
Hooded Towels $8 & Up
Baby Soap $4 & Up
Cotton Balls $3 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.