Editor’s Letter: When You Love What You Do, You’ll Never “Work” a Day In Your Life (Plus What’s Trending On 30Seconds This Week) by Elisa Schmitz
I love what I do. For most of my career, I’ve been driven by pure passion. When I built my first business, iParenting, I was a journalist whose personal thirst for information and inspiration about pregnancy and parenting fueled the enormous energy required to start and grow a business. Back then, I didn’t always have the answers, but I put my whole heart and soul into building a destination that would help other parents like me. I worked around the clock, building a business while growing a family. Yet I loved what I was doing so much that it never felt like “work.”
Through that process, I found that when entrepreneurs find their passion and pursue it with purpose and intention, chances are very good that they will succeed.
I succeeded beyond my wildest dreams when I sold iParenting to The Walt Disney Company, becoming Director and Executive Editor for the Disney Interactive Media Group based in Los Angeles. One of my favorite memories of that time was working as a video host for Disney. This photo is from a shoot where we were producing at-home exercise videos for expectant and new moms. Again, I loved what I was doing so much that it never felt like “work.”
The pattern repeated itself when I started building 30Seconds. Driven by a need to “inspire and be inspired” in just 30 seconds, I found that 30Seconds requires the same time, energy and resources as in my roles at iParenting and Disney. Yet because I love what I do, the relentless demands of running a business are simply woven into my life in such a way that it never feels like “work.” In fact, when I see the results of my efforts, I am driven to work harder – to make an even greater impact.
That’s why one of the best answers I can give to those who ask me, “how can I achieve success, too?” is this: Do what you love, work harder than anyone else, make excellence your goal in all that you do, and success will follow.
Because when you love what you do, you’ll be good at it. When you love what you do, you’ll be recognized for it. When you love what you do, it’s contagious. And when you love what you do, you’ll never “work” a day in your life.
Here's What's Trending On 30Seconds This Week
- Simone Biles Prioritizes Mental Health: Even Our "Superhuman Beings" (Athletes) Aren't Invincible to Mental Health Issues
- Cinnamon Apple Cream Pie Recipe: This May Be the Best Apple Pie You've Ever Eaten
- Summer 2021 Travel: A Psychologist Shares 6 Tips for Traveling With Kids During an Evolving Global Pandemic
- 1-Minute Blender Ice Cream Recipe: This Easy Vanilla Ice Cream Recipe Has Just 4 Ingredients
- Expert Q&A: What's Your Best Tip for Someone Thinking About Becoming an Entrepreneur?
- Extreme Chocolate Cake Recipe: This Easy Chocolate Cake Recipe May Be the Best Cake You'll Ever Make
- It’s OK to Not Be OK: 6 Mental Health Reminders Everyone Needs to Hear
- Deviled Egg Pasta Salad Recipe: This Is the Pasta Salad Recipe to Take to Potlucks & Cookouts
- COVID Delta Surge: Former ER Doctor Shares 6 Steps to Help Health-care Workers Cope & Shift Out of Fear
- Crispy Baked Vegetarian Orange Cauliflower Recipe: You Won't Miss the Chicken
Want to Contribute?
If you have some inspiration you'd like to share, we invite you to join our tribe and become a 30Seconds contributor. On 30Seconds, we realize that time is your most precious resource, and we’ll help you make the most of it. We look forward to having you join our thriving community.
Want to Work With Us?
We work with companies we feel good about. To learn more, get in touch with us at email@example.com.