Editor's Letter: The Power of Community & Human Connection (Plus What's Trending On 30Seconds This Week) by Elisa Schmitz
During some very dark days of the pandemic, it seemed like fear, illness and death were winning. The news was filled with grim updates that made it seem as though life as we knew it may forever be changed.
Then science and health-care heroes shone a bright light that pierced the veil of darkness with hope. Vaccines rolled out, creating a path through the misery.
I was so grateful when it was our turn to get our shots. (You can read about my first vaccine experience and my second vaccine experience.) And not only did we get vaccinated, I also made a friend.
Claire was the nurse that I met briefly at my first vaccination, when she spontaneously posed for a photo as I was passing by. Even in that brief instant, I felt her energy and she felt mine – as we smiled from behind our masks.
After my second vaccination, Claire was the nurse that watched over me as we chatted in the post-vaccination observation area. When the ABC-TV news crew appeared, it was Claire who recommended they interview me. And after my interview, it was I who insisted they interview her. We had known each other only a few minutes, and yet we both wanted each other’s energy to be captured and shared – to inspire others.
Afterward, Claire found me through 30Seconds and sent me an email. An email exchange led to a couple of phone calls, where we learned even more about each other and our families. The next thing I knew, Claire, who had shared her passion for pottery with me, sent me a box filled with handmade pottery treasures she had made. These works of art included a colorful assortment of stunning vases and pots adorned with dragonflies, ribbons and “hope,” which now add warmth and joy to my home.
As part of my thank you to Claire, I sent her a package of 30Seconds tribe gear – not nearly as awesome as handmade pottery, but it was a start, and my way of welcoming her to our community of those who come to inspire and be inspired. Because, Claire is truly an inspiration. I am grateful that we connected and look forward to growing our friendship.
I share this not only because it is a story about the power of human connection, but also because it is a story about building community – no matter where you are or what you’re doing. I have been building communities my whole life; it’s just part of what I do.
Because we can learn something from everyone we meet, and we should never stop learning.
Because we can draw strength from each other, and we are much stronger together than we are on our own.
Because we can be inspired in unexpected ways, then pass on that inspiration to others.
Because we can grow from each and every interaction, and we should never stop growing.
How can you help build community? We can’t wait to find out!
Here's What's Trending On 30Seconds This Week
- A Teacher's Letter to Her Class As the Pandemic School Year Ends: 31 Things She Hopes They (and We) Remember
- Easy Blueberry Baked Oatmeal Recipe: This Delicious Baked Blueberry Oatmeal Recipe Is a Healthy Start to Your Day
- The “New Normal” & How to Safeguard Your Mental Health: 4 Post-Pandemic Wellness Tips
- Peanut Butter Banana Oatmeal Squares Recipe: Are They Breakfast Cookies, Energy Bites or Snack Bars?
- Should Kids Have to Wear Masks in Schools? Here's Why This Preschool Teacher Dad Says No (What Do You Think?)
- Moroccan Baked Chickpeas Recipe: These Crunchy Chickpeas Are Packed With Fiber & Protein
- Why Children Are Falling Out of Their Chairs at School: A Lesson in Proprioception & Vestibular Senses
- 2-Ingredient Naan Recipe: You Won't Believe How Easy This Naan Recipe Is to Make at Home
- Listening Can Help You Succeed: 8 Actions to Be an Exceptional Listener in Business & Relationships
- Creamy Chai Ice Cream Recipe: This Vanilla Chai Ice Cream Recipe Is the Flavor of Summer
- No-Cook Recipes: This Healthy Tuna Poke Bowl Recipe With Tamari-Mirin Sauce Is a Cool Dinner Idea
Want to Contribute?
If you have some inspiration you'd like to share, we invite you to join our tribe and become a 30Seconds contributor. On 30Seconds, we realize that time is your most precious resource, and we’ll help you make the most of it. We look forward to having you join our thriving community. You can learn more about me at ElisaSchmitz.com, and get my inspiration for achieving career and life success at BecomeTheFire.com.
Want to Work With Us?
We work with companies we feel good about. To learn more, get in touch with us at email@example.com.
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community. Inspire and be inspired.