Work-From-Home Guide: 11 Things You Need to Know If You're Working Remote From Home by RightSure Insurance Group
Due to COVID-19, many of us are working from home. For some it has been a dream come true and others, well, it has been tough to stay on track. It is important to find a routine/plan that works well for you. Try different things out and do what works best for you. Here are some tips:
- Create a Routine: Create a morning routine for your workdays. Wake up and make some coffee or do some yoga, same as you would if you were traveling to the office. Set your dedicated work hours and stick to them. It may seem convenient to work longer hours and get projects done early, but that is a sure fire way to burn yourself out.
- Create a Dedicated Work Space: Create an area that is used strictly for work, even if that may be a seat at your kitchen table. Make sure that if it is your kitchen table seat, you do not eat there during breaks. The lines between work and home life can be blurred, establishing a work space can help make that line clear.
- Take Breaks: Take scheduled breaks in their entirety. Use the time to go on a walk, do some yoga or talk to family members/housemates. When you are on a break, make it a habit to walk away from your work computer and do other things. This will help your mind unwind, and again, avoid brain burnout. It is important that you take two to five minutes every hour to step away from your desk and stretch – in the office or at home.
- Over Communicate: It can be easy to get in the zone and forget to communicate with your coworkers/managers/employees about what you are doing. Instant messaging, emails and video calls can help clarify and remind everyone how you are contributing. It can also be a great way to communicate your schedule and availability.
- Plan Out Your Work: A great way to stay focused is to plan out your work for the day ahead of time. Yes, this may seem like a no-brainer, but it can be easy to get distracted by everyday life and lose track of what you were working on/what is expected of you. Spending time figuring out what you will be working on for that day actually takes time away from those tasks.
- Set Focus Days: Set clear days to focus on big projects and things with a specific deadline. Let anyone who needs to know that during these days you will be in minimum communication and full focus on the project at hand.
- Take Advantage of Your Perks: Have a load of laundry in the basket taunting you to clean it? Throw it in the machine! Always wanted to make some fresh homemade bread? Go ahead! Working from home has its perks. So long as you are getting work done, take some time to also do things that you wouldn't have the chance to if you were in the office. You deserve it.
- Take Sick Days: It may seem easy to not take sick days while you work from home. This is another way to create significant burnout. Your employer offers you sick days for a reason, use them if you need to!
- Play Music: Listening to music can help drown out distraction noises and boost productivity. Create a playlist for work and listen to it, however you want. You aren't in the office so it won't bother your coworkers.
- Socialize: This is different from over communicating your work projects. Working from home can feel like you are an outsider in your company. Whenever you can, instant message or email coworkers to catch up. Make time for "water cooler chat" like you would if you were in the actual office. Create or join a group work chat, it can benefit everyone.
- Make It Your Own: While these tips work well for some, they may not work as well for you. Do your research, take the time to figure out what works best in your routine and stick to it. Do whatever it is that makes you feel comfortable and helps you to be productive. Create your routine and own it.
For some working from home is a breeze, for others it is a struggle. Take these tips and create your routine and you may feel much better about the situation. Don't be too hard on yourself for getting distracted – it happens to everyone.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Office Décor $5 & Up
Office Supplies $3 & Up
Office Desks $40 & Up
Office Chairs $30 & Up
Office Wall Art $9 & Up
Bluetooth Speakers $10 & Up
Office Organization $5 & Up
Office Clocks $8 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.