Best Toys for Kids 2020: 6 Ways to Choose Safe Toys for Children This Christmas by Sophia L. Thomas, DNP, APRN, FNP-BC, PPCNP-BC, FNAP, FAANP
The holidays are upon us, and we all know what that means: time to get shopping. There are nearly three billion toys sold annually in the United States. Giving children the right gifts can spur imagination and development. Getting the wrong gifts can sometimes do more harm than good.
According to Stanford Children’s Health, toy-related injuries send tens of thousands of younger children to the hospital every year. Most frequently, the cause can be traced back to giving young children toys meant for older kids.
With so many toy and gift options available, it is important for gift givers to ensure they select age appropriate and safe options for younger children. Here are some basic guidelines to consider when selecting the right gift for kids:
- Read instructions and warnings on the packaging. Often, these will inform the buyer of the appropriate age group for that toy.
- Avoid toys with sharp edges or rigid points.
- Avoid balls, marbles or other objects that are 1.75 inches wide or less for children under the age of 3.
- If you purchase a gift with wheels – like a scooter, bike or skateboard – ensure you purchase an accompanying safety helmet.
- If purchasing crayons or other art supplies, be sure to look for the “ASTM D-4236” designation, which means the item has been inspected by a toxicologist.
- Avoid toys with small parts that can present a choking hazard.
Gifting a toy to a child is one of the most rewarding experiences, topped only by seeing them enjoy that gift for years to come. This holiday season, let’s ensure that safety is the top priority.
The content on 30Seconds.com is for informational and entertainment purposes only, and should not be considered medical advice. The information on this site should not be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, and is not a substitute for professional care. Always consult your personal healthcare provider. The opinions or views expressed on 30Seconds.com do not necessarily represent those of 30Seconds or any of its employees, corporate partners or affiliates.
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community. Inspire and be inspired.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Toys for Babies $5 & Up
Toys for Toddlers $5 & Up
Toys for Preschoolers $5 & Up
Toys for Kids $5 & Up
Toys for Tweens $5 & Up
Gifts for Teenagers $5 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.