Connecting With Kids in a Disconnected World By Trevor Romain: A Must-Read for Anyone Wanting to Connect With the Kids in Their Lives by Renee Herren
Connecting With Kids in a Disconnected World, written by Trevor Romain, is a book filled with strategies, tips, observations and, yes, even screw ups designed to help adults make and improve connections with kids. Trevor has been working with children for more than 25 years from all walks of life and his commitment to helping adults connect with kids is evident on every page of this book.
The first thing I noticed about this book is the size and font. The book itself is compact, which is very convenient, and the font size was perfect (not too small and not too large). These might seem like minor details, but they are important to me as a reader. The table of contents is detailed and organized in a way you can reference the exact topic needed. As someone who spends lots of time with children as a parent and educator, I thoroughly enjoyed and appreciated the wisdom and tips Trevor shared.
Here are a few quotes that resonated with me:
- “Slow down and listen without trying to answer for children. Let them finish what they are trying to say.”
- “Discounting a child’s feelings is the quickest way to disconnect from them.”
- “Stories are the foundation of memory and learning. Sharing stories with kids can improve their self-esteem and help them deal with stress.”
- “Discomfort does not have to lead to disconnection.”
- “When kids cannot get a response from an adult, they can begin to feel desperate. This can lead to a fear of being abandoned. Children can develop negative tactics to engage the adult.”
Trevor shares several ways to connect in this book (you will have to read it to learn more, but I will tell you that talking is not the only way to connect with kids!). His tips are practical and effective. I look forward to trying some of them at home and in my classroom.
If you live with, work with or interact with children in any capacity, you need to read this book.
A review copy of this book was provided by the publisher.
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community. Inspire ... and be inspired.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.