Yard Sales & Flea Markets: 7 Shopping Tips to Help You Find Those Hidden Treasures by Marge Jesberger
You might call them yard sales, tag or garage sales, either way, you can count on having fun and stretching your budget while getting some fresh air and exercise. If you are on the lookout for treasures or trinkets, here are some tips to make your shopping experience more memorable:
- Visually Take in Your Surroundings: Always look underneath or above. You will always find the copper tea kettle or the antique picture that is not in full view. Hidden boxes are the most rewarding.
- Is It Junk or Jewel? Examine prospective purchases for hidden cracks or flaws. Quickly determine if it is a fixer upper or beyond repair. If you like it, buy it.
- Be on the Lookout for Things Reasonably Priced: It’s all about the re-gifting. If you see something in its original packaging, stock up for future gift-giving occasions.
- Fill Your Pockets With Bills and Quarters: Correct change will speed up the process and get you to your next destination faster.
- For Longer Shopping Trips, Pack the Right Stuff: Take along granola bars, juice boxes and fruit. Comfortable clothes and shoes are a must. Prepare for all kinds of weather. Don't forget your umbrella.
- Use Your Imagination: If something is dingy and dirty, envision how it would look restored to its original beauty. Refinishing and painting can transform an ugly atrocity into a modern masterpiece. Buying those "mystery boxes," especially at auctions, can be a risk or reward, but if you find just one item you can restore, it will be worth it.
- Negotiate With the Seller: A lot of price tags are inflated. It never hurts to ask the dealer if they can do better. When the price is reasonable, don't even bother haggling. If you like a certain seller, make sure you find out where they will be set up in the future.
Happy treasure hunting!
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community. Inspire ... and be inspired.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Flea Market Flip $2 & Up
Antiques Guides $4 & Up
Garage Sale Kits $7 & Up
Umbrellas $5 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.