Single Mom Wisdom: 6 Parental Insights to Share With Your Kids About Their Future Right Now by Dawn Taylor
As a single mother I often struggle financially, but my job is not only to provide my children with things. So I try to give my kids advice on things of value that will help them navigate their futures. Here are a few bits of wisdom I share with my kids consistently:
- Work hard academically and aim for decent grades. Getting good grades and having a good work ethic go hand in hand when applying for scholarships, and there are many available to families who don’t have the financial means.
- Your guidance counselor is your best friend through high school. Guidance counselors are there to do more than help you apply to college. They also can provide many resources for scholarships to schools you might never think to apply to. Ask a million questions. They have the answers!
- Once in college, listen to your adviser. Tap any resources within your college world to get free help with resumes, career planning, etc. It’s all there for the taking. Take unpaid internships if they are available, as they can lead to paid work later.
- Connect, connect, connect. Every chance you have talk to people, be friendly and ask questions. You never know who it is you are talking to – they might lead you to an opportunity you’d otherwise never be aware of. Connections are sometimes more important than qualifications in the short run (but hard work pays off in the long run).
- Find something you love to do and find a way to make a living. It might not happen right away, but keep your passions close to your heart and work toward them, however long it takes!
- You don’t have to decide what you want to do with your life right now. On that note, don’t think that your direction won’t change, because it probably will, many times.
To me, this kind of advice goes a long way. Money might be scarce, but I truly believe that the advice I give them is worth so much more.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Networking Books $3 & Up
Books for Single Moms $4 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.