Polar Bear Plunge: Yes, I'm 3 Steps Closer to Crazy! by Tiffany Zook
Recently, our local Air Force base hosted a Polar Bear Plunge into Lake Amistad. Two things I hate the most: being wet, being cold. That particular morning, it was actually colder in Texas than it was in New England. When I saw this event, I literally “jumped” at it. Why? To conquer my fear? Heck no! One friend put it best: “You are three steps closer to crazy than the rest of us.” That pretty much summed it up. I talked my 11-year-old daughter into joining me and we were off to the lake. Here’s what to expect if you decide to give it a go or host your own:
- Jump off the dock or run down the boat launch! Either way, you’re getting wet!
- Be sure to bring water shoes, an extra pair of warm clothes and several beach towels.
- Serve hot cocoa and “hot”dogs to warm up the polar plungers.
- The marina raffled off prizes for participants including party boat, kayak and RV rentals.
- Many polar bear plunges raise money for a good cause. Pick one and go for it!
Our plunge only took about 15 seconds ... but the memories will last a lifetime. It’s still early in the game, find a polar bear plunge near you and bring the whole family!