Snow Day Fun: 7 Activities to Keep the Snow Day Insanity at Bay! by Morgan Hawthorne
As we all know, winter brings snow days! Those days that everyone was so excited when they were in school, but as parents these days bring special challenges. The minute parents get the notification that school is cancelled, panic sets in. Kids want to play in the snow for a quarter of the time it took for them to get dressed to play outside. Kids (as well as parents) get cabin fever and feel like caged animals – or at least mine do! Here are a few things my children (ages 10 and 4) and I have found to keep from going crazy and make the time pass a little more painlessly!
- Bake cookies.
- Make homemade play dough.
- Practice math/spelling/letters by drawing in the snow.
- Make snow ice cream.
- Make a snowball target so the kids can clobber it instead of each other.
- Write a story about what they would do in a winter wonderland.
- Color pictures of the beautiful snowy landscape.
I hope these ideas save a few parents from the horrible snow-day insanity! Please leave a comment about your own snow day activities!