Consent, Sexual Assault & Prevention: Teach Your Son the Basics (No Matter How Young He Is!) by Tanya Kuzmanovic
There is an epidemic of sexual harassment, assault and all-around inappropriateness going on. As parents, we have the power to stop it in its tracks. We owe it to our daughters. And we owe it to our sons. Kids are never too young to start learning the basic principles of consent. Here are six tips to get started:
- Asking first. Talk to your son about asking for permission before he pets a strange dog, takes a cookie from the cookie jar or hugs his best friend.
- Taking "no" for an answer. "No" means "no," no matter what. The sooner your son comes to terms with "no," the better prepared he will be in dealing with disappointment.
- Understanding cues. Interpreting social cues through body language and facial expressions does not always come easily. Help your son learn from everyday situations in his life.
- Trusting his instincts. Talk to your son about finding his little voice inside and following its guidance.
- Understanding all variations of "no." Such as silence, awkward quiet, hemming and hawing and/or a halfhearted "yes."
- Don't dismiss your kids own hesitations. If they are reluctant to hug Uncle Eddie, then don't force them to.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Books About Raising Sons $4 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.