Parents, Say "Yes" to Kids Climbing Up the Slide: Here Are 7 Reasons Why (Share Your Thoughts) by Mike Prochaska
We climb up the slide at the park, and we think you should consider climbing up and allowing your children to climb up the slide, too. Why? Here are my top seven reasons:
- Climbing up the slide strengthens arms and legs. Children need to be active and exercise. It not easy to climb to the top – it takes determination and will power to get there.
- Climbing the slide promotes risky play. Risky play is an exciting activity that involves a risk of injury, and play that provides opportunities for challenges, testing limits, exploring boundaries and learning. Children need to learn how to take risks in life and it starts on the playground.
- Climbing the slide involves conflict. When a child climbs up a slide, another will want to go down the slide. This is a great way for children to practice solving problems. Most of the time, the children learn how to solve the problem on their own. If they are too young to solve by themselves, just ask them, “How can we solve this problem?” I have never seen a child who was not able to figure this out on their own.
- Climbing the slide teaches children about failure. Children need to learn that when you fall down, you get back up. Climbing the slide is a perfect example of this – children don’t normally get to the top of the slide the first time so they have to get back up and try again.
- Climbing up the slide encourages creativity and cooperation because they will find tools and ways to work together to get to the top. Last week, my daughter realized she could get to the top if she used a stick she found. Then she held the stick out once at the top so her brother could grab it and climb to the top.
- Climbing up the slide encourages success. Children won’t give up until they figure out a way to the top.
- When children are allowed to do risky things like climbing up the slide, they learn to trust their own abilities and that you trust them to try. It’s important kids know we trust them to do risky things because that's how they learn.
Will you let your child climb UP the slide?
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community. Inspire and be inspired.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Slides $39 & Up
Knee & Elbow Pads $6 & Up
Balls $5 & Up
Playground Equipment $5 & Up
Playground Toys $5 & Up
GoPros $70 & Up
Books About the Playground $5 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.