The Hot Water Challenge: 6 Things Parents Need to Know! by Donna John
Like parents don’t have enough to worry about these days, now there’s a new trend going around on social media: The Hot Water Challenge. The challenge? To drink boiling water or throw it on an unsuspecting person. Here are six things parents need to know about the Hot Water Challenge:
- Eight-year-old Ki'ari Pope from Florida died after drinking boiling water through a straw. The girl burned her throat and mouth, and died from respiratory problems that night.
- Jamoneisha Merritt, an 11-year-old in New York, was severely burned after a friend threw boiling water on her as she slept.
- Wesley Smith, a 10-year-old from North Carolina, suffered severe burns after attempting the challenge with his step-brother.
- Kids are being inspired to do the Hot Water Challenge through videos on YouTube.
- Boiling water only takes seconds to cause severe third-degree burns.
- The Hot Water Challenge is not the only dangerous social media trend going around. (Read Stephanie Cannoe's tip about the Blue Whale Suicide Game.)
Parents, talk to your children about the dangers of the Hot Water Challenge. Tell them about the kids who’ve died and been injured because of this latest social media trend. Show them pictures of third-degree burns if you have to. Let’s do our part to make sure there’s not one more child hurt and injured.