Hurricane Harvey Recovery: Here's How to Help the Victims of Hurricane Harvey! by Donna John
While millions are still in the throes of Hurricane Harvey, it’s never too early to find ways to help those impacted by the storm. Here are some organizations that are accepting donations for victims of Hurricane Harvey:
- JJ Watt Houston Flood Relief Fund: "Hurricane Harvey has taken a catastrophic toll on our great city, while leaving many stranded and in need of assistance. We must come together and collectively help rebuild the aspects of our community members lives that were damaged or lost. Any donation that you can spare, no matter how large or small, is greatly appreciated. We will come out of this stronger than ever. We are Texans." – JJ Watt
- American Red Cross: "The American Red Cross is helping the people affected by Hurricane Harvey in Texas and all across the Gulf coast. Shelters are open, truck loads of supplies are being distributed and volunteers in place," says a statement on their website. The organization is urging people to call 1-800-RED CROSS or text HARVEY to 90999 to make a $10 donation for those in need.
- Salvation Army: Your donation will support The Salvation Army and help them stay on the front lines of Hurricane Harvey relief efforts.
- Catholic Charities USA: The social service organization is asking for donations to help Harvey victims. Support their disaster relief efforts by texting CCUSADISASTER to 71777.
- United Way: To donate to the United Way Flood Relief Fund, text 41444 to UWFLOOD.
- Coaster Bend Disaster Recovery Group: If you are looking for a way to assist the Coastal Bend region during the long-term recovery process from Hurricane Harvey, consider donating to the Coastal Bend Disaster Recovery Group (CBDRG). All funds go directly to local disaster recovery efforts. Donations are accepted via the Coastal Bend Community Foundation.
- South Texas Blood & Tissue Center: The blood center asked for donations before Harvey, but the demand will surely increase after the storm. Learn how to donate.
- HEB & Central Market: These amazing grocery stores have already donated to hurricane relief efforts and sent trucks with water, food and medicine. How can you help? When checking out you can add $1, $3 or $5 to your bill that will be split between the American Red Cross, the Salvation Army, and Feeding Texas.
- Central Texas Food Bank: The nonprofit hunger relief is asking for monetary donations to help create “disaster boxes” for storm victims. Here's how to donate.
- Feeding Texas: This organization is collecting money to provide shelter meals, boxes of food and cleaning supplies. Here's how to donate for Hurricane Harvey relief.
- Texas Diaper Bank: Provides diapers and other items for families with small children. Here's how to donate.
- SPCA of Texas: The SPCA of Texas is putting every available resource behind assisting pets and people who have evacuated the Gulf Coast to the North Texas area. To help them keep the hundreds, possibly thousands, of pets coming due to Hurricane Harvey, donate here.
- Austin Pets Alive!: This fabulous organization has transported more than 235 animals to its shelter. They are looking for donations and people who can adopt animals.
Know of an organization helping Hurricane Harvey victims that should be listed? Let us know below!