5 Good Ground Rules for Engaging in Political Discussions on Social Media by Nancy Dafoe
While it is easier not to engage in political discussions these days, we are leaving an awful lot of important topics off the table if we don’t dare venture into the feasts that are political in nature. Yet, we also don’t want to be in angry, mean discussions or be insulted. Here are some good ground rules for political discourse to share with social media friends and acquaintances:
- No generalizations. Talk policy or topic specifics.
- Ask for and use verified, credible sources for statistics and information.
- No insults or profanity, even the mild ones.
- Be positive in your position argument, not in contrast to something else.
- Block people who can’t abide by these simple rules of civility. (No bots, trolls and people just looking for a fight.)
How do you handle political arguments online?