Parents of Kids With Special Needs: "Doing Your Homework" Sets Up a Year for Success by Pepi Silverman
Every family benefits from preparing for a new school year, but parents of a child with special needs have their own “special” homework to support their child’s education. As a new school year approaches, preparing for the fall will set everyone up for success. Get started with a plan, organization, and most importantly, by being proactive to work effectively with the school team.
- Share information about your child with every teacher.
- Help your child to be excited about the new school year.
- Start a school communication log.
- Review your child’s current IEP and monitor its implementation.
- Plan to attend school events, such back-to-school nights.
- Develop a family calendar that highlights the upcoming start of the school year.
Back to school jitters can be alleviated with a plan and a focus on success.