Want Your Kids to Read More This Summer? Try These 9 Creative Ideas! by Ann Marie Gardinier Halstead
Summer vacation tends to be filled with lots of activity. This can make it all the more challenging for us to motivate our kids to read. But we want to avoid the “summer slide,” and if we make it fun, they may just choose to pick up a book. Challenge your young readers to read every day in fun ways like these:
- Read with a flashlight in a tent or sleeping bag.
- Read in the bath tub with pillows (and no water).
- Create a bookmark and then put it to use.
- Write a story and read it to the family or pet.
- Read for 20 minutes and then draw a picture of what was read.
- Read for 20 minutes and then share what was read with the family. Feeling adventurous? Act out a scene from the book!
- Lay down on a beach towel, put sunglasses on and read.
- Make a boat out of a cardboard box and read in the boat.
- Gather stuffed animals and read outside to them under a favorite tree or on a picnic blanket. Everyone loves to be read to!
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like: