Parents' Rights at Their Child's School: 9 Things You Need to Know! by Pepi Silverman
Parents play a powerful role in the education of their children, and knowing their rights helps to give them a voice at the table on behalf of their kids. Working with a school district can be intimidating, but with information, parents can be confident participants.
- Ask questions and EXPECT answers.
- Put everything in writing to have a paper trail.
- Schools are accountable, so ask for data.
- Know your state’s procedural safeguards.
- Parents are EQUAL decision-making partners.
- Goals must be “observable and measurable.”
- Align goals with grade-level expectations.
- School’s MUST investigate performance problems.
- Meet as often as necessary to support your kids.
Persistence pays off, so don’t give up!