Want Your Kids to Read More This Winter Break? 7 Ways to Make It Fun! by Ann Marie Gardinier Halstead
The holidays tend to bring lots of new toys and gadgets for our kids to play with. This can make it all the more challenging for us to motivate our kids to read. But if we make it fun, they may just put down their toys and pick up a book. Challenge your young readers to read every day, in fun ways like these:
- Read with a flashlight in your bed under the blankets.
- Read in the bath tub with pillows (and no water).
- Gather your favorite stuffed animals and read to them.
- Pretend it’s summer. Lay down on a beach towel, put sunglasses on, and read.
- Create your own bookmark. Then put it to use.
- Read for 20 minutes. Then draw a picture of what you’ve read.
- Read for 20 minutes. Then share what you’ve read with your family. If you’re feeling adventurous, act out a scene from the book!