Healthy Thanksgiving Food Swaps: 7 Steps to a Healthier Thanksgiving Meal by Felicia Stoler
Before you bring Grandma’s good china out of the attic, rethink your holiday menu. A few of these healthy swaps may make this year’s feast better for your family.
- Check the labels on snack items. If you plan to serve pre-meal snacks, check the labels before you buy to make sure they don’t contain hydrogenated oils.
- Buy a turkey that is 100-percent bird. If a turkey is at the center of your table, order an organic pasture-raised bird from a local farmer. Most store-bought frozen turkeys have been injected with up to 12 percent of a solution containing added sugar, salt and artificial flavorings. Additives are not allowed on fresh turkeys.
- If you fry your bird, use an oil with a high smoke point such as Malaysian certified sustainable palm oil. When oil is heated beyond its smoke point, its molecular structure begins breaking down. It may even form trans fats.
- Or save a turkey’s life. Consider serving tofurkey or a fall vegetarian dish as your meal’s centerpiece.
- Ditch the boxed stuffing. That familiar stuffing in the red box contains partially hydrogenated oil, our primary source of trans fats. Pick up some day-old bread and have your little ones help by tearing the bread into pieces the night before. Create a family tradition with homemade stuffing.
- Pass up the canned crescent rolls! Refrigerated dough products including crescent rolls often contain partially hydrogenated oils as well as emulsifiers such as monoglycerides and diglycerides. These may also contain trans fats.
- Avoid the gravy packets/chemical soup. Prepare your own gravy by whisking a few tablespoons of flour or cornstarch into the turkey drippings.
The content on 30Seconds.com is for informational and entertainment purposes only, and should not be considered medical advice. The information on this site should not be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, and is not a substitute for professional care. Always consult your personal healthcare provider. The opinions or views expressed on 30Seconds.com do not necessarily represent those of 30Seconds or any of its employees, corporate partners or affiliates.
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community. Inspire and be inspired.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Thanksgiving Cookbooks $4 & Up
Gravy Fat Separators $8 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.