How to Make a "Commercial" With Kids for Dramatic Play Fun at Home by Jocelyn Greene
At Child’s Play NY we love to make commercials for products that our characters use. It gets kids working together in creative off-script ways. This is fun to play on a play date or among siblings, too, since it is really collaborative. Scaffold their playing by having them follow these instructions:
- Get a clear product and really pitch it! A witch might sell a cauldron, Harry Potter, his wand, Cinderella, her glass slipper.
- Frame it by a question: “Are you thirsty for the most delicious drink? Try our famous Frobscottle made by The BFG…”
- Have a jingle – create a silly song or rhyme about the product.
- Make a mini sketch or re-enactment.
- Have kids show – rather than tell – why the product is so great!
Hope you enjoy this as a portal into playing! Want to find more fun things to do with your kids? Visit ChildsPlayInAction.com!